Wednesday 27 January 2016

What on earth is BPA? Is it something you eat?


When I started buying things for my unborn baby, the only advice I got was

a. It is best to buy silicon pacifiers and
b. Prefer a glass baby bottle to a plastic one

So I am at the store, holding two baby bottles in my hands and looking for the differences like my life depends on it! The only sales assistant in store is trying hard to assist 5 customers at the same time (Oh, financial crisis! Get another employer people‼) Ok, I  am thinking, how hard can it be? And just when I am about to put the baby bottle in my cart, I see it. On the upper corner of the carton, a tiny green sign that reads: BPA FREE. So I started looking at other products and noticed the same or similar signs (like 0% BPA). What on earth is BPA? Is it something you eat? 

Then, I did a small research the moment I could get my fingers on the web and I discovered that not only you cannot eat it, but you should not have it on any product that you use for feeding or drinking! BPA (which stands for Bisphenol A) is an organic synthetic compound which can be found in baby bottles, plastic plates and glasses, plastic toys, baby products and in general in plastic staff. It is considered harmful for our health, especially for infants, however the results on the tests are controversial. I don’t want to bore you, so if you are interested, you can find info on the FDA site, Wikipedia, Mayoclinic, or you can just google it! 
And me? As my granny always says: BPA is a no no!


No comments:

Post a Comment